martedì 15 novembre 2016

Tuscany suggestions - Part 1

Some days ago, a colleague of mine asked me some suggestion about what to visit in Tuscany... and of course a very long list of things and places and food came into my mind, but I had to refrain myself to write an infinite list, since he has just few days.
I tried to summarize some places that for a British person I think can be really particular to see, so not only the well known cities like Pisa or Florence, but also tiny villages that probably without the suggestion of a native Tuscan person he would miss.
Since I spent about two evening to put together the following suggestions, including direct links to show what I am speaking about, I thought that would be nice to share that email on my blog, so that maybe (I hope) some other persons can take advantage of this!


Part 1: Famous cities, and some tiny villages close to the North-West coast

Here a list of some things that came into my mind that may be worth visiting…. And I omitted so many others! Of course there are already too many, but at least you have some choices!
I already put a link on the cities, so you just have to click on them to have an idea of what to expect.
If you have some questions please feel free to ask more… I love my place, and I hope you will enjoy! 
Here the list:

- Lucca is a really nice town. The ancient walls around are still intact and you can walk on for a length of 4 km. There a characteristic oval square to visit (piazza anfiteatro) and a particular tower with trees on it (Torre Guinigi).
- Pisa is ok, but really apart from Piazza dei Miracoli and some other few spots I don’t think is particularly beautiful. However if you go in Pisa it’s quite beautiful the river (Arno) in the middle of the city (Lungarno) where there is a pretty church (S. Maria della Spina).
- Florence is all beautiful, so it’s pointless to give you advices, you’ll find amazing stuff to see by yourself :D
- If you want to hike or visit super small and particular villages I suggest you to visit the Apuan Alps. I lived for a couple of years in one of that small towns and I loved waking up every morning with this view. If you decide to come here I can suggest you to have a meal at the Norcineria Barsanti, to visit Pruno, Stazzema and Farnocchia where you can enjoy one of the most beautiful view of the Apuan Alps. All these small villages are reachable almost only with the car. If you then decide to hike, I can give you further suggestion to which mountains to go! :)

Here you can choose among a few nice boroughs (not correct if it is correct in English..) that worth a visit and a lunch/dinner or a glass of wine :)
-          Monteriggioni: This is really super super small, but so cute! San Gimignano and some other small villages around are also nice, and you are very close to Siena.
-          Going a bit to the south there is Montalcino where they produce a super good (but expensive) wine (brunello di Montalcino), closeby there is the pretty Pienza that is famous for its tasty pecorino cheese (pecora=sheep). All this area is called Val d’Orcia and I think is amazing for its landscape and hills (of course in Spring is more amazing than now) English website for info.
-          In the south of Tuscany, but maybe too far away…
Pitigliano, Sorano, Sovana (but maybe they are a bit far away…)
Laguna di Orbetello: Beautiful nature and nice walk around



Ok, I have finished.... for now!


Nessun commento: